Monday, June 7, 2010

getting my garden ready

I have a small plop of land I like to dig in.
I turfed lots of lillies, filled in a little rubber pond, moved a rather sad tea rose bush, relocated two hostas and gifted a Jacob's ladder to get my garden to the right shape and size.
I bought 3 bags of mushroom compost to turn into it. very stinky.
I waited three weeks. turned another two bags or so worth of our own kitchen compost into it. Lots of organic material in there now. plenty of worms. lots of not so rotted seeds.
I gave the children an onion from my kitchen that was sprouting to dig into the garden. For something they pull out of the soil every few weeks to check that it's growing, it is doing remarkably well
A week after turning in our compost and planting the onion, a lot of green things sprouted in my garden space. I turned it all again (but the onion) after pulling all the little green things out.
Ten days later, many more little green things have sprouted. They look like squash. Fair enough, we eat squash at least every two weeks in the fall and winter.
I've pulled most of the new green things, leaving two that were distinctly different in colour and leaf shape. We'll see what those turn into.
Oddly enough, two of my children chose to plant pumpkins for their vegetable, and the youngest chose zuccini seeds as her veggie of choice.
Fourteen tomato plants went in, as I love tomatoes and BG also loves tomatoes. Five are cherry tomatoes for immediate eating and the rest are for canning and sauces. mmm nothing like fresh sauce in the middle of winter. yum.
now the hard part starts-waiting for fresh delicious veggies from our own garden.

No comments: